Wednesday 30 November 2011

Interest in literacy






Jack was very interested in writing numbers last week, his aim was to write from number one right through to one hundred. On this day Jack (ONLY?), had enough time to write to sixty nine, I thought this was very impressive. Rochelle and I worked closely along side him at different times throughout the day, when he asked for help. Jack has recognition of numbers and what they represent when spoken allowed. When I would say the next number is, let's say 27, he was able to listen to the number I said then write it down on his paper. This happened right through to double digits. Ka pai to mahi Jack!!! You are amazing, your love for learning and extending yourself really shows through. You showed such persistence to reach your goal. The very next day I observed you again writing your numbers, getting closer and closer to the big one hundred.

While Jack was working at the puzzle table, Lexi had sat down and chosen to work on the alphabet puzzle. Lexi asked if I could help her write her name with the pieces. I suggested she have a go first, then if she needed my help, I was right there. I watched as Lexi looked for the different letters of her name. She got a little stuck on finding the x so I showed her where it was, then Lexi found the i and successfully finished spelling her name. This puzzle has both lower and uppercase letters so I was able to talk about this with her in relevence with her name. Discussing with her that the first letter of her name L starts with a captial and the rest of her name is in lower case, then I talked about her last name having a captial letter also.

Jack and Lexi are showing familiarity with print and its uses through exploring and using literacy in meaningful and purposeful ways to them.



Tamara

No comments: