Wednesday 2 November 2011

Blind awareness

Last week I talked to the children about why we were having the bake sale. I talked about how guide dogs help blind people get around without them being able to see. We then talked about traffic lights. When a blind person needs to know whether to cross the road safely, underneath the button that we press is a button that pops out and this is how a blind person knows it is safe to cross. I suggested the children might like to feel this the next time they are waiting at the traffic lights with family (but still check that the little green person appears to show that it is safe), I did say it might give them a little fright. I then asked the children what senses blind people would need to use, the children weren't quite sure. I said, "Their listening and sense of touch". I said that when your blind you need to listen very carefully. To illustrate what it might be like for blind people, we listened to Willbee the bumble and closed our eyes instead of looking at the book. The children quite enjoyed that, it gave them a bit of an insight. It's such a great experience for children to learn about different people other than ourselves and know that everyone is diverse. The children enjoyed baking and learnt about doing things for others.

Tamara

No comments: