Wednesday 2 November 2011

Baking Muffins

There has been lots of interest with baking in the sandpit and the play-dough area.
Yesterday I prepared the tray so the children that wanted to could bake some apple and cinnamon muffins. Ruby yelled out to me from the clay table, "I'll come and help soon to, I'm just going to finish playing at the clay table", I replied, "okay". Our student teacher Salina helped with baking also and said she had noticed the interest in baking in the sandpit. Zoe, Emily and Isabella washed their hands and got a chair each and Ruby joined us a little while later. Maia then came along to watch and touch everything she quite liked the apple skin, "apple" she said. Zoe took charge of the bowl first filling it up with one cup of flour then proceeded to mix it around. Each child got to have a turn at folding the mixture which I showed them how to do, I talked about how muffins don't turn out very well if they are over mixed (having said that everyone wanted to have a turn so they did get a little over mixed, but that's all part of the fun it and the process) a little while down the track Jack, Noah and Thadeus wanted to join in, so they all got a stir and Noah added the cinnamon in for us. Baking is a great way to introduce children to early mathematics where they gain opportunities to measure different ingredients. The girls were all very eager to have a turn so we talked about how everyone would get a turn at something. So they had to learn the art of patience which isn't always an easy concept to learn.

The children enjoyed their muffins for morning tea this morning
How many of your children like to bake at home?

I know Noah does, he shared that with me yesterday and said his favourite thing to bake is a chocolate cake, I said my favourite was making a carrot cake.

Tamara

No comments: