Wednesday 23 February 2011

Hairdressers at work















This afternoon, Emily wanted to play hairdressers and have me as a client. Within minutes a wider group of children wanted to join in as well. Emily asked if they can use hair ties and clips in my hair, and then went inside to get the container. I sat down on the grass and Isabella put a blanket around my shoulders 'because thats what you get at the hairdressers'. Next thing I know, I have about 8 hands through my hair, 'making it look pretty'. I overheard a number of discussions with the girls. Acacia put a clip in my hair but Emily told her it was in the wrong place, and then Isabella and Jorja both wanted a hair tie in the same place. So from there, there was a lot of talking, listening and compromising to be had. I was the 'client at the hairdressers' so I couldn't interfer into their work too much. It was so great to watch and listen to how passionate they were about being creative 'hairdressers'. These girls took it very seriously. At one point, I would have had about 30 clips and hair ties in my hair. The girls thought it was great!!


Children discover and develop different ways to be creative and expressive. During this time, the girls engaged in reciprocal interactions that involved listening to one another, turn taking, waiting, and trying to understand others (Contribution, Te Whariki).


Ainslee

No comments: