Tuesday 1 February 2011

Getting creative with the blocks




Shaydn and Donnagh love being creative together. I was inside and noticed a structure they had started to build and I went over to have a closer look. Donnagh said, "We're building a playground". Shaydn said, "This is the five year old slide", then Donnagh said, "this is the one year old slide, I'm doing welding". I then said, "Just like your Dad" and he continued to tell me a story about his dad building a boat with his friends. As I watched, they included me in conversation and told me what they were building. Shaydn eventually added an animal park. They also thought about safety of children playing in the playground and built a fence so they don't fall out. At times both boys didn't agree with a decision to add something to the play ground. They said backwards and forwards, "We don't need that yes, no, yes, no. " I just watched so they could negotiate and work out the problem amongst themselves and they eventually did.

Through conversations with Donnagh he included experiences he's seen or had into his play. Welding is what his Dad often does as he makes amazing designer letter boxes. So Donnagh has had first hand experience seeing someone weld something together. Anther conversation I had with Donnagh was when he talked about being nice, "On my birthday". I replied, "We need to be as nice as we can on other days too". He said, " When I meet new people I say hello whats your name, that's being polite". Donnagh is sharing his knowledge of what to do in social situations when meeting new people and how to treat them. He's sharing his knowledge and belief about how to act with other friends.

Check out some of their amazing building skills!

Tamara

No comments: