Wednesday 29 September 2010

Getting involved with the Carpentry



Travis had noticed the hammer, wood and nails. He picked up the hammer, I observed him for a little bit as he moved the hammer up and down a few times. I then went a little bit closer he looked at me and smiled. I offered to show him how to do it, he responded. I held the nail in my hand and Travis helped me with the hammer it went up and down. I then moved myself away a little bit and let Travis have another turn, this time he put the hammer closer to the nail to hammer it in. Travis is very confident in experiencing things of interest to him and having a go. Through careful observation we as teachers can help guide and support children in showing them how to do some things, like hammering in nails, as this takes skill and we do need to be safety conscious of children's hands. Travis' curiosity and exploration is encouraged and learning extended my modelling, from me as a teacher.

Tamara

No comments: