Tuesday 22 May 2012

Oscar stacks the blocks

Oscar was near the basket of little wooden blocks and I was sitting next to him.  He noticed I was making a tower with the blocks.  Oscar pulled out one cube at a time, and started stacking them up like I was.  He stacked them three and four blocks high and then he would knock them over. Each time when Oscar finished making a tower he put both hands on his hips, and he twisted his body from side to side. He had a grin from ear to ear while looking at me, as if to say, "Look what I have done Tamara."  You could see that he was very impressed with what he had achieved. I responded by saying, "Yay, you did it Oscar.  You are very pleased aren't you?", and I clapped. Oscar continued to make towers and knock them over.  As he got further along with his stacking he was able to make towers five and six blocks high. Ka pai to mahi Oscar, well done. In this experience Oscar was able to use the blocks which were familiar to him to, try new things, and explore the possibilities.

Oscar is developing the skills to choose and experiment with materials, to play around with ideas, and to explore actively with all his sense.

A week later Oscar was sitting quietly by himself.  He had found the basket of blocks. As I observed Oscar I noticed he was selecting the blocks and making a tower, revisiting his learning from the previous week.


Tamara

No comments: