Wednesday 20 October 2010

Max's interest in bugs





Max is still showing increasing interest in bugs and hunting for them with his friends. On Monday he brought in a snail that he found on the KIDSPACE drive way. His mum and I suggested he find a home for the snail. He thought for a little bit. I said, "I've just brought in some recycling boxes you could use one of those for your snail". Max said, "yeah" and quickly rushed down to the art room to find one. He showed me the box he chose, I questioned whether the snail would need some food while it was in the box. Max said, "yeah, they eat grass, I'll get it some grass". Max got a nice big handful of fresh grass for his snail. Max then proceeded to tell me he needed to put water in his box for the snail. I wondered how much.... Max put quite a bit in there, I asked "would it drown?". Max said "No they like to drink the water". Later Max and I researched on the internet. He had a few questions to ask. We went onto the website www.answers.com.

Max asked questions such as,
-What do snails eat?
-What snails slither on?
-Do snails slither on peoples arms
-Where do snails hide?

We watched some video clips on YouTube, where the snails were slithering up the window and
the one we found most exciting was a snail called the African snail; they are HUGE. Max and I both learnt something new, we didn't know snails that big existed. DID YOU SEE THE PHOTO!!!

Through this experience Max was actively exploring his world and caring for the little snail he had found, ensuring his well-being was being looked after. Max was being a scientist and actively driving his own learning through research on the Internet and we looked in books too.

Tamara

No comments: