Tuesday 16 August 2011

Ruby's Picture


This morning I set up a range of coloured paints on the deck outside. I put small tipped brushes with the paints. Ruby took an interest in the paints and appeared to have a clear idea of what she wanted to paint. She sat down and began choosing her colours and adding the details to the paper. After a few moments, I asked Ruby about her painting. I could tell that she was eager to share, but she kept saying, "It's a special secret and I'll tell you when I have finished it".

As I sat closely, watching Ruby at work, and assisting other children, Ruby kept looking over at me and giving me a cheeky smile, as if she was checking that I was still watching her. Once she had completed her picture, Ruby was ready to tell me all about it. "It's allllll about circles". "Circles and the moon AND the planets". I looked at Ruby's picture carefully as she pointed out which part was the moon and where the planets were. I told Ruby that I really liked her picture, particulary the colours she used, and how many planets she fitted onto her paper. I asked Ruby where she remembered seeing the moon and planets from, and she said, "Ainslee, I even went in your car, dont you remember?" Ruby was referring to the planetarium visit we went on in July. Ruby told me that she laid back in the chair and watched as the moon and planets and stars moved past.

I love the way Ruby has portrayed the new knowledge she gained from the planetarium visit into her painted picture. Fantastic work Ruby!

Ainslee

No comments: